Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Monday Meal - Fried Rice with Asparagus and Chicken

1st Meal in my new effort to be a cheap cook = )

Last night I made Fried Rice with Asparagus and heated up some chicken tenders we had in the freezer to go with it.  So really it became Chicken Fried Rice with Asparagus.  and I must say - it was YUMMY!!!  I think the fact that it was so cheap made it even yummier =).

I found the fried rice recipe for this meal on this great website, Poor Girl Eats Well while I was searching away last weekend.  I'm hoping that I'll find lots more yummy and cheap things here in the future. 

Her blog is awesome - this is a girl who's making meals for literally $1 or $2 per serving!  And super yummy stuff too, with lots of veggies and protein.  I have a lot to learn from her.

I'll let you visit her sight for the full instructions, but here's some pics of my dinner in progress: 
Rice cookin' away
All the other ingredients (I'm missing the scallions in this pic)
Almost done!
And completion:
My picture isn't that appetizing, but I promise it was good!
P.S.  I actually forgot to get the scallions at the store today so had to have Trent pick up some on the way home.  Adding to my total for the week by $0.68.  So my total for groceries for the week is now $59.40.

Boo again for making the total higher =( 

On the plus side, I realized I actually had 3 eggs in the fridge, and a small amount of rice leftover too, so technically I think I could return the 1 1/2 dozen eggs for just a dozen and take the rice back too.  But I think I'll use these ingredients elsewhere and save myself the trip.  Lesson learned to look CLOSELY to the pantry before going to the store =)

Next time I think I'll double the recipe to make more leftovers.  Speaking of leftovers, I've now got the remaining bundle of asparagus, scallions (a.k.a. green onions), and some white rice left.  Now I just need to figure out how to use it so it doesn't go to waste!

1 comment: