Thursday, September 15, 2011

Teryaki Chicken Salad

This is a GREAT summer recipe - lots of fresh ingredients, light, but still very filling!

Teryaki Chicken Salad

Doesn't that just look yummy?!  It IS yummy!!  Now I do have to say, it's not exactly cheap considering that it's 100% fresh ingredients plus a marinated package of chicken.  

(But did I mention it's yummy yet?!)

It IS, however, relatively cheap if you find the ingredients on sale like I did this week! =)

Here are the ingredients:
  • Romaine Lettuce (or really whatever type of lettuce you like, I've used mixed greens before too)
  • Teryaki marinated chicken (so sorry if this is an HEB only product...maybe you could marinate your own chicken in a teryaki sauce?  haven't tried this)
  • Cucumber - diced
  • 1 cup corn
  • 1 cup black beans
  • 1/2 avocado
  • Handful of grape tomatoes (you can substitute another type of tomato for this, just dice it up)
  • Honey mustard dressing
The prep is pretty simple, just takes a bit of time.  Basically, you chop everything up, cook the chicken and assemble!  

First rinse and cut the lettuce.  P.S.  I found a great deal for $0.88 for the bundle!  I did the price matching deal at Walmart.  I was a little skeptical if the produce would be gross at Walmart, but it was just great!

Then cut up the cucumber (I like cutting slices and then in 4ths)...

Next comes the corn...

And the tomatoes...when I saw that Sprouts had a pint of these guys on sale for $0.99 that's actually when I decided to make this meal.  Seriously $0.99 for an entire pint!

Dump in the black beans (rinsed) along with everything else

Finally cook the chicken breasts,  It's honestly so much better to cook it outside on the grill.  But where I live, it hasn't rained in what seems like YEARS!  So everyone is advised not to use outdoor grills - even gas-powered.  So being a responsible citizen, I cooked my chicken on a skillet.  

Once the chicken breasts are fully cooked, cut them in strips like this.

While they are still warm, add them to the salad.  I usually wait till this point to add in the avocado as well so it's fresh.

Serve it up and drizzle the honey mustard on top.  The combination of teryaki flavor + honey mustard is simple amazing.  You really have to try it!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment