Friday, August 12, 2011

Thursday Meal - The Poorman's Meal

I might have to think up a new name for this - Poorman's meal?  really?! 

I do have to say this meal couldn't be any cheaper...Potatoes, Onion, and Hotdogs...yes, hotdogs.  When I went to the store last Monday I literally almost had to ask where the hotdogs were!

This is another meal from sweet Clara the "Depression Cooking" lady.  Here's her video walking you through the whole process - I love when she goes on a rant about the lady that was stealing vegetables from her garden!  Check it out here!

She doesn't give quantities again so I here's what I did:
  • 6 small potatoes (or 3 large ones) - peeled and diced
  • 2 small onions - diced
  • 4-5 hotdogs (I used turkey dogs) - diced
  • A little oil
  • A little sauce (Clara uses tomato sauce, but I only had salsa and I actually loved it that way!)
Start by peeling and dicing the potatoes - Be prepared there is a lot of peeling and dicing in this recipe - it's pretty quick to cook, but takes about 15-20 minutes to prep

Lots and LOTS of potatoes!

Dump the potatoes and onions in a pan to saute with a little oil..I'll do a little less onions and a little larger potato pieces next time.  This is the longest part of the cooking process - took about 10 minutes for the onions to cook down and the potatoes to start getting soft.

 Then dice up about 4-5 hotdogs.  I did 5 but it was a little bit too much.

I added some salsa to give it a little flavor and kick - it was definitely a good addition!

About 2-3 tablespoons of salsa or tomato sauce will do

Once the potatoes are most of the way cooked, add in the hotdog and keep sauteing

Remember my leftovers from this night?  I decided to make us some asparagus on the side!

My FAVORITE way to cook veggies is with a little olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper.  Pop it in the oven till tender and you've got some seriously yummy vegetables.  I love doing this with brussell sprouts too!

Yummmm....

And the final product!  I was pleasantly surprised at how tasty this simple meal was! 

A few changes I might try in the future:  Substituting bratwurst in for the hotdogs (if it's affordable), a little less onion, and a little bigger potato pieces.

A word of caution!  

So most Thursday nights we do a date night swap...date night swap = free babysitting = awesome!  I had dinner ready early, got Kinley fed and in P.J's, we ate and were out the door by 6. 

Before I continue you have to check out our crew!

I just LOVE these boys...they are so incredibly sweet to Kinley - this family is raising some amazing boys that I'm confident will grow up to be Godly and courageous men!

Ok,  back to my word of caution...


When we left from their house to head home, Trent and I got in our car and couldn't figure out why it smelled soooo much like fast food...seriously I'm picturing a hidden bag of Sonic fries somewhere under my seat...that's the smell we're taking in as we drive home.

It wasn't until we walked in our front door and were HIT with the overwhelming aroma of fried potatoes and onions did we realize where it came from.

We brought that lovely smell into our car and even after the car sitting empty for a good 5 hours, it still smelled like it!  A little gross maybe?!

So my apologies to our friends - we must have been quite smelly getting to their house to babysit! 

My suggestion - if you make this meal, get your roomspray ready and light some candles...

then Enjoy =)

1 comment:

  1. love the pic of the boys and Kinley! And, am really impressed that you have time to make all of these dinners AND blog about them!

    ReplyDelete