Thursday, August 25, 2011

Tuesday Dinner - Chicken Pot Pie

This is one of my FAVORITE meals!  It's yummy, simple, and makes LOTS of leftovers.


Chicken Pot Pie!!  The ultimate comfort food.  In fact, that's how I was first introduced to it.  My friend Jan brought this meal over to us the night we had to say goodbye to our first puppy dog.  It was a very hard night, but I'll tell you, there is just nothing like a friend showing you tangible love when you need it most. 

And I've been making this chicken pot pie ever since!

(P.S. have you noticed the common thread that all my recipes are from friends or family?!  In fact, I've received sooo many new recipes & advice since starting this little blog journey - thanks for that!  I can't wait to try all the ones I've received!!!)

So here's how it's made.  Get ready to be "wow'd" by how simple this is!

The ingredients:
  • 3-4 Chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
  • 1 can Cream of Chicken
  • 1 can Cream of Mushroom
  • 2 pie crusts - you can make your own, but mine have totally flopped when I've tried, so I just use the store-bought kind
  • Mixed veggies - just the small bag
That's it!

First shred your cooked chicken.

You can boil it (which is what I did this time) or cook it in the oven - whatever you like.  Sometimes I'll cook & shred a bunch of chicken at a time for multiple recipes...enchiladas, pot pie, etc).

Anyways, back to the recipe...add some salt and pepper to the chicken

Next, dump in the cream of chicken and cream of mushroom

Then dump in the mixed veggies and mix it all up!

That's it for the filling - simple right?!
Get your pie crusts ready

And dump in the filling!
 

Then lay the second pie crust on top.  Trim the top crust so there is not too much hanging over the edge - just enough to seal the two crusts together.

Not gonna lie, I have a small obsession with eating the extra dough - it just tastes sooo good!  Really I love any dough, but pie dough is just plain yummy!

It's important to make sure the two crusts are sealed together so all the juices don't run out during cooking.  I like to pinch mine together, then fold the top over the bottom like this

Then make a pretty edge to your crust =)

That's about all!  Stick this guy in the oven at 375 for about 45 minutes or till the top is lightly golden brown! 

I highly suggest covering the edges of your crust or they'll be burnt before the middle is cooked.  I always used to just fold up some foil to cover the edges till my mom gave me this little guy last week - seriously genius!

The final product!  P.S. mine took almost an hour to cook this time, so build in some margin so you don't have a dough-y top!  And let this sucker sit out for a few minutes before serving or you'll have chicken pot pie soup =)

Our dinner!  I didn't make any sides for this, so the plate looks a little boring, but honestly...this fills us up, has veggies in it too - so I rarely make anything to go along with it.  Maybe for company I'd add a salad or something.

Kinley can't wait till she's old enough to try it (or at least that's what I like to think!)

Actually this is us trying to appease her - dinner is always right at her bedtime, so it's a juggling act to feed ourselves and still keep her happy!

Did I mention how this makes great leftovers?!  This is the pie after both of us ate our share and felt VERY full!  And I honestly think it tastes even better the second day.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. hey girl, you have inspired me to shop for deals at the grocery store. on my last trip i bought a bunch of spinach for 77 cents to use for salads and sandwiches. i usually get the bagged lettuce that is like 3 dollars. change is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just started following your blog...so fun! i do a lot of budgeting with my grocery shopping too (and plan my meals weekly like you do) so it's fun to see someone else do it.
    thanks:)
    bree (ytterberg) tenhave

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'd be surprised at how soon Kinley will be eating this meal. I'm making one this week for my family, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulous- we love it- I have it in the oven right NOW !

    ReplyDelete